Free Payroll Webinar- Payroll Pitfalls
View our free payroll webinars to earn credit from the APA
On May 11th our guest speaker Vicki Lambert presented the popular webinar Payroll Pitfalls. Payroll rules and regulations are constantly shifting and have become incredibly complex. Some compliance regulations payroll must adhere to were written more than eighty years ago, while others are as recent as our most recent legislative session. Some are in a constant state of flux while others remain constant. Payroll rules and regulations in today’s world are complex and it is critical that payroll not stumble when complying with all of them.
Despite what some payroll professionals think, it isn’t always the big ticket items that lead to government audits. Problems can occur from a misunderstanding of wage and hour terms, not knowing that you are responsible for reporting stale payroll checks, or even accounts payable paying an auto allowance that should be taxable when tax hasn’t been withheld. While trying to keep your eyes on the payroll horizon you could fall right into a compliance pit. All this can be avoided when you know what to look for.
In this 60-minute presentation you will learn:
- What is considered travel pay under federal and state law
- How to properly calculate the regular rate of pay using the correct FLSA method
- Gained knowledge on how to track, report and remit abandoned wages properly to the correct state at the correct time
- Gained understanding of the IRS taxation requirements for payments made from AP such as prizes, awards, gifts, gift cards and cell phones
- When and how to tax auto allowances paid to employees for the business use of their personal vehicle
- What the IRS terms “accountable and non-accountable plan” means to payroll
- The difference between “overtime premium” and “overtime”, and how each is calculated
Just click here to view this on-demand webinar: http://info.ascentis.com/May-11th-Payroll-Pitfalls_May-11-Payroll-Pitfalls-OD.html