Green, Green, Green!
Happy St. Patrick’ Day to all!! What better day would there be to talk about going green than St. Patrick ’s Day! Some of us will celebrate in different ways. Some will wear their lucky green socks. Others will break out their favorite kelly green shirts…yet others will be drinking their favorite green beer! Although St. Patrick’s Day is definitely about going green…it shouldn’t just be once a year. Here are some recommendations that you can use to help your company go green all year long:
- Use a power strip that senses when appliances are off and cuts draining energy use.
- Encourage employees to walk/bike/bus to work. Create a transportation benefit!
- Offer employees large water coolers rather than bottled water.
- Simple, Recycle!
- Recycle electronics, don’t throw them away.
- Allow telecommuting (when possible)
- Buy office supplies that are made of recycled goods
- Use real mugs, plates, silverware, etc. rather than plastic
- Once a week have a green day (no printing, no driving to lunch, etc)
- Company cars? Think hybrid
- Create a carbon offset program, plant trees or plants for each piece of electronics in your office
- Buy office supplies from local companies
- Need to have giveaways? How about reusable shopping bags? Travel mugs?
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Email billing statements/invoices
- Put a brick in the back of the toilet (less water flushed)
- Give up paper towels in the kitchen
- Have plants. They recycle the air!
- Give up rubber bands
- Think before you print! Use printers that print on both sides
- Switch to a laptop instead of using a desktop computer and cut three-quarters off your electrical use. Turn off the laptop at the end of the day
Be safe and enjoy your St. Patrick’s Day!