Free HR Webinar on Sustainability
View our free HR webinar to earn free HRCI & SHRM credits
Ascentis recently hosted a free HR webinar titled Building a Sustainable Workforce. This free HR webinar recording is approved for free SHRM and HRCI credits and available to watch here. Our expert speaker from this webinar, Kristina Kohl from HRComputes, wrote the below reflection on this topic.
Building a Sustainable Workforce
by Kristina Kohl
In a recent free HCM webinar, I discuss building a sustainable workforce to create shared value and to better achieve business strategies. While you may be familiar with the terms sustainability and corporate social responsibility, you may not have considered how human capital management (HCM) professionals can leverage the concepts of sustainability to add value to their organizations.
As trends change for demographics, stakeholder empowerment, transparency, and technology advancement, organizational leaders are adopting a triple-bottom-line profit strategy to better address global challenges and opportunities. Thus, it is imperative thatHR professionals adopt sustainable HCM strategies to support this new vision of an organization, people, and workplace.
Here are 10 strategies to help HR professionals build a more sustainable organization and to create shared value.
Ten Strategies to Build Sustainability
- Participate in the development of C-suite strategic sustainability vision.
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders to understand, educate, and inform of needs and requirements.
- Develop leadership competencies and development programs to create sustainable leaders.
- Redesign job functions, descriptions, and performance metrics to align with the organization’s sustainability mission.
- Share your organization’s sustainability story to attract and retain top talent.
- Empower employees to embrace CSR and to contribute ideas and suggestions that impact locally and globally.
- Develop training materials to educate and inform employees and to help them align personal and organizational goals.
- Support organizational redesign to break down silos and promote cross-functional collaboration.
- Create and support communication strategy that meets employees where they are on their sustainability journey.
- Define success and measure with metrics.
These are a few of the ways that HR professionals can support and create shared value through embedding sustainability into their organization’s culture. However, the SHRM BoCK mentions corporate social responsibility, diversity & inclusion, and ethics but doesn’t mention that sustainability crosses more than just a few competencies.
In the free HR webinar I spoke on, I share information on demonstrating both the value that HCM practitioners can contribute to their firm’s sustainability mission as well as the benefits that they receive through a sustainable approach. Click here to view our free HR webinar recording to earn free HRCI & SHRM credits.
This topic is one of an ever-growing library of HR education. Sign up for one of our free HR webinars, our free Payroll webinars, and our HCM News & Trends newsletter to stay up to date on current HR practices in 2017.