Free HR Webinar on Employee Motivation
View our free HR webinar to earn free HRCI & SHRM credits
Ascentis recently hosted a free HR webinar titled Improve Your Organization With Motivational Intelligence™. This free HR webinar recording is approved for free SHRM and HRCI credits and available to watch here. Our expert speaker from this webinar, John Casey from 2Logical, wrote the below reflection on this topic.
How Motivationally Intelligent™ Is Your Organization?
by John Casey
In a recent free HR webinar, I discuss employee motivation and what call motivational intelligence. For more than 2,000 years, the world’s greatest minds say the same thing. But perhaps what is more amazing is how few leaders have actually listened to them.
I suppose once you consider all the distractions, it makes sense why so many leaders fail to recognize the one fundamental thing, the only thing, that will ever allow them to rise above the noise and truly help their people and team succeed.
For more than two and a half decades, 2logical studied organizations ranging from 50-100,000 employees. 2Logical researched companies with revenues of five million to over one hundred billion. Throughout all of this research, we studied the employees that excelled and struggled.
What Was The difference?
In looking at more than twenty-three thousand individuals, we made an interesting, but not so surprising discovery: excelling individuals can understand, influence, and drive their behavior (and the behavior of others) in infinitely more productive ways. We call this ability motivational intelligence™.
Motivational intelligence enabled them to overcome any obstacle, navigate past any issue, and find a way to succeed regardless of circumstance. As all the great thinkers of the past have said, the people who succeeded thought differently. Within all motivationally intelligent™ people, there are five core characteristics that consistently emerge. These behaviors affect a more optimal thought process and influence how people move through every aspect of their life.
The 5 Characteristics of Motivationally Intelligent People
- Accountability: They don’t get lost in the finger pointing, blame, and excuses that cripple others. We will see them take ownership of their goals and who they need to be to achieve those goals. We will also see them take ownership of their challenges, focusing on finding solutions where others just see problems.
- Adaptability: They seek out feedback, and are open-minded and willing to listen to it. Where others fight and resist, they are willing to take a chance, try something new and adjust in whatever constructive way is required to succeed.
- Resilience: Failures, setbacks, and obstacles don’t throw them off track. They remain positive when others complain, believe in themselves and their ability to persevere. They never quit and keep looking for ways to succeed.
- Initiative: While others sit back and wait, hoping that someone else will do something to fix the problem, people with high motivational intelligence™ see a problem and they fix it. These people are driven, self-motivated, get things done, and own their commitments.
- Courage: Being unafraid of change, these individuals don’t fight and resist, but instead embrace it. They realize that change is part of the natural order of life. Individuals with high motivational intelligence™ are able to override their fears and move forward regardless. People with lower motivational intelligence™ allow fears and comfort zones to define the actions that they take and those that they resist.
What Do These Characteristics Mean?
These characteristics identify a different thought process and show the most valuable people. the ones you would hire 100 times over if we could just find more like them. This is what a motivationally intelligent person looks like.
While hiring for motivational intelligence™ inherently makes sense, it is not the only answer. As leaders, our highest fiduciary responsibility is to coach, mentor and develop the motivational intelligence™ of the people on our teams. As a result, we liberate them, get them out of their own way, and help them succeed. Simply put, there is no greater gift that we can give to our people, our organizations or even ourselves, than building the motivational intelligence™ of those around us.
So, How Motivationally Intelligent™ Is Your Organization?
Are you as successful as you desire to be? If not, then the answer to the question above is – Not enough.
2logical is the world’s leading expert on Motivational Intelligence™ development. If you want to learn more please visit www.2Logical.com or click here to view our free HR webinar recording to earn free HRCI & SHRM credits. To receive a free 30-minute strategy session with a 2Logical consultant click here and if to receive a free Team Motivational Intelligence™ Assessment click here.
This topic is one of an ever-growing library of HR education. Sign up for one of our free HR webinars, our free Payroll webinars, and our HCM News & Trends newsletter to stay up to date on current HR practices in 2017.